If you’re looking for a new hobby that can get you outdoors and moving, while also teaching you a thing or two about history, then metal detecting might be for you. Metal detecting is a great way to explore your local area and learn about the past. Leicester is a particularly interesting place to metal detect, as it has a long and varied history. In this blog post, we will explore some of the best places to go metal detecting in Leicester, as well as provide some tips and tricks for those new to the hobby.
Metal Detecting Laws in Leicester
If you want to go metal detecting in Leicester, there are a few things you need to know about the laws and regulations. First of all, you need to get permission from the landowner before you start searching. This is especially important if the land is privately owned. You also need to make sure that you’re not breaking any local ordinances by metal detecting in public places.
There are a few other things to keep in mind when metal detecting in Leicester. First, always fill out a permit application if you plan on searching for state or government-owned property. Secondly, be respectful of private property rights and never trespass onto someone’s land without their permission. Finally, be aware that some areas may be off-limits to metal detectors due to historical or archaeological importance.
By following these simple guidelines, you can enjoy a fun and productive day of metal detecting in Leicester!
Is it legal to Metal Detect in Leicester?
It is not currently legal to use a metal detector in Leicester without the explicit permission of the landowner. In addition, any finds discovered must be promptly reported to the local authority. Failing to do so could result in prosecution.
Despite this, there are still many people who enjoy metal detecting as a hobby in Leicester. If you are considering taking up this pastime, it is important to research the laws in your area and obtain permission from landowners before beginning. With patience and perseverance, you can discover some fascinating items that offer a glimpse into Leicester’s history.
Best Places to go Metal Detecting in Leicester
There are many great places to go metal detecting in Leicester. Here are some of the best:
- Victoria Park: This park is a great place to find old coins and other small metal objects. It is also a beautiful park to walk around in.
- Abbey Park: Another great park for finding old coins and other small metal objects. This park also has a lot of history and is very pretty to walk around in.
- Bradgate Park: This is a large park with many different areas to explore. You are likely to find old coins and other small metal objects in this park.
- Castle Gardens: These gardens are located near Leicester Castle and are a great place to find old coins and other small metal objects. The gardens are also very pretty to walk around in.
- Jewry Wall: The Jewry Wall is an ancient wall that was once part of the Roman city of Leicester. You can often find old coins and other small metal objects near the wall.
Is there any buried treasure in Leicester?
There are many stories of buried treasure in Leicester, but it is difficult to know if they are true. One story tells of a hoard of Roman coins that were found near the city center. Another story speaks of a treasure trove of Viking silver that was discovered in a field outside the city. While it is possible that there is buried treasure in Leicester, it is also possible that these stories are simply legend.
Metal Detecting on Leicester Beaches
Leicester boasts a number of fantastic beaches, all of which are great for metal detecting. The city has a long coastline, meaning that there are plenty of opportunities to explore and find hidden treasures.
Whether you’re a beginner or an experienced metal detectorist, you’re sure to find plenty of interesting things on Leicester’s beaches. Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your metal detecting experience:
- Research the area before you go. This will help you to know what kind of things you might expect to find, and where the best places to look are.
- Get permission from the owner of the land before you start Detecting. This is important, as it could be considered trespassing if you don’t have permission.
- Make sure you’re aware of the tide times. You don’t want to get caught out by the tide coming in!
- Take a packed lunch and plenty of water with you, as it can be tiring work traipsing up and down the beach all day long.
- Be respectful of other people using the beach, and don’t dig huge holes that might cause someone to trip over.
- Finally, have fun! Metal detecting can be a great hobby, so enjoy yourself and see what treasures you can find!
Metal Detecting in Leicester Rivers
If you want to try your hand at metal detecting in Leicester, there are a few rivers that are known for yielding interesting finds. The Soar and the Wreake are both good options, as is the River Sence. Each of these rivers has produced a variety of items over the years, from coins and jewellery to more unusual objects like weapons and artefacts.
When metal detecting in any river, always use caution and be sure to follow all local regulations. It’s also a good idea to team up with someone else, so you can take turns watching each other’s back while scanning the riverbed for anything sparkly or shiny. With a bit of patience and luck, you just might find something really special hidden beneath the water’s surface.
Metal Detecting Clubs in Leicester
With its rich history and abundance of public parks and green spaces, Leicester is a great place to go metal detecting. And what better way to enjoy this hobby than by joining a local club?
There are a few metal detecting clubs in Leicester, each with its own membership requirements and meeting schedule. The Leicester Metal Detecting Club, for instance, welcomes new members aged 18 and up. They meet every Wednesday evening at 7:30 pm at the Faith Centre on Newarke Street.
The East Midlands Metal Detecting Club is open to members of all ages and meets once a month on a Saturday afternoon. Their meetings are held at different locations around Leicester, so be sure to check their website or Facebook page for updates.
Both clubs offer a great opportunity to meet other like-minded enthusiasts, learn more about the hobby, and maybe even strike it lucky with your next finds!
As you can see, there are many great places to go metal detecting in Leicester. No matter what your experience level is, there is a spot for you to search for buried treasure. Be sure to research the area before you go, and always follow the rules and regulations set forth by the landowner or local authorities.
With a little patience and some practice, you will be on your way to finding hidden treasures of your own. So grab your metal detector and head on out to Leicester for some fun in the sun!